I graduated from Berkeley in December 2007 with honors in linguistics. I'm 99% sure I want to become a psychotherapist and get a PsyD. Problem is, I prepared to become an academic (linguistics PhD programs) and don't have a psychology major. I did research in linguistics and have no psychology experience really. I took some classes because I was a psych major the first two years of college, but I think some PsyD programs require basic classes like abnormal psychology that I didn't take.
- If I took classes at a community college, would that be sufficient background for these core classes that may be required? Will they care if it's at a CC instead of a university?
- If I did linguistics research and have a recommendation from that professor, is that useless for PsyD programs?
- How much do programs run in cost? I've heard that most are funded entirely out-of-pocket.
- How much do psychotherapists generally make? I want to have some reassurance the debt will be worth it, though with $70K already from undergrad I'm probably going to have to resign myself to lifelong debt...
- Anything else I should be doing to prepare and enhance my résumé?